Tuesday, October 20, 2020

A Love Story

As slumber gradually tightened its grip over him,  he loosened his over me...And then it happened! His dulled, soporific fingers let go, and I found myself plunging headlong towards the concrete floor.  

And that is where I stayed in a state of shock, sandwiched in the tiny space, between the back of the couch and the blank wall. Day after day...night after night, I lay wondering if he was missing me at all, looking for me, thinking about me... Patiently, I waited for that happy moment of reunion, for the palpitation which comes from feeling desired again, and wanted...
One day it seemed that someone did finally find me. My heart gave a leap as I felt a slight tickle, and a shiver went up my spine. Ah, it was Mr. Daddy Long Legs, the Spider. A curious thing for sure. Armed with spinnerets, it crawled all over, inspecting even my dog-ears with utmost care,  hoping to find a nice nook to make its web. And then finally, using me as a convenient buttress, it wove a dandy  home for itself...or, a cache, shall we say!

As  the monotonous ticking of the clock imprinted itself  on the chiaroscuroed interiors of the house, and winter gave way to spring, the layer of dust grew thicker, and weighed upon me in the most unpleasant way. By now, I had almost coerced myself to forget about him, who had once held me so lovingly in his hands. 

And, then it came: tiny, beady-eyed, and quite cute...from the very start it fell for me headlong, couldn't keep its hands off me for a second... Bursting with passion, it wanted to dig into my very core, maybe even devour my heart. Its appetite was insatiable.  As I lay there, caught in the gossamer thread of loneliness,  I said to myself, 'why not?'. Yes, why not enjoy the passions of this little critter...if this is love, isn't this what I want? 

And, that is when, in my own selfish way, I accepted the advances of that teenie meenie bookworm. 







  







4 comments:

  1. Nice. A book's loneliness and a bookworm's greedy, destructive desire which is eventually better than being abandoned and forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tuching way of impressing how books are being forgotten in favour of electronic gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha! Good interpretation, Jyoti! Actually I never thought about it this way, but that's an interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete