Sunday, January 9, 2022

the stillness and the word...

 As yet another year wound its way in and out of the shadows of the pandemic as an inevitable continuum to 2020, one hoped and prayed that it would spell the end of global consternation and economic anxiety. But, Ananke and Providence had other plans for humanity, and a lot of us tumbled into new year with weekend curfews beginning to ebb our social life.

We would remember 2021 as the year when humanity seamlessly divided itself between the vaxxed and non-vaxxed, the 'responsible' and the 'rebellious'. And between those who distrusted the governments and took to streets to protest and those who mistrusted each other and shut themselves in their homes and took to the trenches of social media.  It was also a year when many of us unquestioningly resigned ourselves to a masked version of reality. We moved within the confines of our designated area, trying to reinvent ourselves vis-a-vis the limitations imposed upon us.

Personally, I saw reality  as I once knew it, slipping from my grasp, its regimented predictability becoming amorphous and elusive. I lived from moment to moment, from day to day, in an infinite stretch, looking for myself. As an immense amalgam of time, I could very well sum up  the year 2021 as a huge wasteful expanse, but no. It turned out to be a voyage of self-discovery, giving me courage to face myself in my raw solitude, and find myself in random moments of sudden revelation. I struck a natural companionship with the wilderness surrounding me as it spontaneously embraced the wilderness within me. The two became one...

1.

a gutted evening 
spilled across the
sky: ribbed clouds
in gray and pink
being dragged 
like dead weight
of a rotting day;
the poet could 
seize the peace 
even in this decay,
a pale moon's
crescent smile compelling
the eyes to reciprocate
darkness turning to light
with  sightings of 
the first stars

2.

The ocean and sky were one
the thunder and the sound
of crashing waves edged 
into each other; the far away 
cry of the peacock slipping into 
the neem grove rose in delight 
above the slashing rains,
the stinging of the fast drops 
and the memory of our hesitant 
first kisses fused seamlessly. your
touch on my dress was washed 
away by this sudden downpour, and i 
smelled of wet earth


3.

a moon quiet
and fragile like 
the sky timid behind
the golden evening
veil; a fiery drongo 
perches on the clothesline 
whistling flirtatiously


4.

short filaments
of gold looping
across the purple
night, weaving magic
and love: peacocks
waking up to the
stirrings of 
spring desires

5.

the brahminy kite cruising into
my view from across the
window slits the afternoon
with its silent flight,
the kingfisher swings on
a low branch, whistling, the frail
moth i saw last night
lies lifeless on the porch;
my heart cries and sings,
flies and sinks, sways and 
slips, like dappled pearls of
light through quicksand


2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous.Your poems make my heart ache, and I long to find again a country, a landscape so intrinsically intertwined with longing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the poet in you, responding to the poetry in me...

    ReplyDelete